Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

On the Primacy of Listening to God

Last Wednesday, I met for an early breakfast with a dear old friend. He a man of God in the truest sense of the term. He is also a man of prayer and has been for the 20 years I have known. Prayer is his way of life.

He is also a man who listens to God as one of the key ways he relates to him. We have shared retreat ministry for years around helping people learn how to listen as a mode of prayer. We see it as an essential mode. All communication if it is true communication involves listening, especially the ability to listen well. Prayer is listening too.

In the course of our warm-spirited catch up conversation he spoke of struggling over Christmas time to connect with Jesus in prayer. He was not hearing him and wondering why. As I listened, the Spirit began to remind me of how I had largely abandoned listening prayer almost completely since I moved to Massachusetts. Yesterday, he exhorted me to "return to my strength." I know he was talking about listening to him. My entire ministry at the Center For Renewal/Klesis grew and flowed from the frequent practice of this spiritual discipline. It guided all we did.

I had abandoned my strength in favor of tackling the avalanche of minutiae attending launching a church. Really foolish. Really, really foolish!

So beginning yesterday morning, I returned to the Well to listen in the Scriptures and to the still, small voice of the Spirit. My life depends on it. I little noticed the riches of what I had forsaken. Living in this dark city without being spiritually tethered was desiccating my spirit and dimming my hope little by little. I was wandering in the wilderness of my own making.

Even after just two mornings, here's what I have been shown upon returning to the well-worn path:

1. Without listening I am largely wandering around on my own.

2. Without listening I defer quickly to my motivation for exploring without a clear design.

3. Without listening, I focus on trifles and spend my resources on what matters little, but looks promising.

4. Without listening, I stumble more easily into sin, errant passions, and foolish pursuits.

5. Without listening, I have little discernment about spiritual matters and the lying spirits who seek to entangle me in dangerous traps.

6. Without listening, I am spiritually impotent and frighteningly self-absorbed with little of true Kingdom consequence.

7. With listening, my love for Jesus and desire for his glory grows and centers me.

8. With listening, I locate his will and way; I am more able to obey and produce fruit that lasts.

9. With listening, I am more allied to my deeply spiritual wife ad partner in ministry; we are more in sync in everything.

10. With listening, wonder grows from apprehending the greatness, beauty, holiness and majesty of God.

11. With listening, I have the greatest chance of being effective in launching imagine/Northampton.

12. With listening, I am more able to love and connect my broken humanity with the broken humanuty of everyone around me.

In other words, it is my lifeline. I am a fool to neglect, much less abandon it.

Jesus, may you keep me on a short leash to help me stay near you with open ears, a soft heart, quickened mind, and a deepening love for you and those you love. Please let me never stray again from my strength and my LIFE.




14 comments:

Stephanie said...

Kit- Praise God for breakfast with friends! God accomplishes so much over food :)

I thank God for you!

Susannah said...

Oh, YEAH! And I fight all the time-- I fight because I think that if I listen to God he'll tell me things I don't want to hear, that His words will be death to me, and not what they really are, life-- and I just get distracted and my mind dwells on all the shiny ideas that are good in themselves, but that shouldn't crowd out listening to God. I worry that if I listen to God I won't have time to do anything else, that listening will take something valuable and good and necessary away from me... I think this is all just simply not true. Yes, he might ask me to do something I don't want to do. Yes, if I spend time listening to God in the scriptures and in prayer that's less time to read LOLCats on the web. But He will help me do whateverf it is that He wants me to, and it will ultimately turn out to be the best thing, the way into greatest fullness of joy and pleasure. And it's not like listening to God means giving up reading LOLCats EVER. I think.

Judy Houle said...

Listening - a lost art in my world! Thanks for the nudge - it is in listening that my best ideas come. Sooo why not more? Because I think I'm superintendent/super woman. Oh foolish one I am!

P.Bob said...

As you know, it is really difficult for me to be quiet and at rest. With this said, when I have been on retreat at the Center for Renewal or at the Prayer Summit, I was "forced" to sit, pray, listen, and reflect. It was always a very fruitful time. Today, I spoke on the question that Jesus asked Bartimaeus, "What do you want me to do for you?" I've been wondering what my response might/should be. More than likely my response should be -help me to be quiet/sit and hear your still small voice. What do I have to lose, right? Nothing. What do I have to gain? Everything! Thanks for prodding the sleeping giant in my life.

Nathan said...

Good thoughts man, glad to hear you are finding something that livens your soul and draws you nearer to God.

Destiny Coach said...

Great word and exhortation back to listening. Without the clarity that comes from listening, it is difficult for me to focus on what is really important. I want to do this more, because I know it will yield the best result but am always fighting distractions. Thanks for sharing your heart. This is good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I needed to read this today. I love you guys!

Kit said...

Hey Steph, I agree!

Kit said...

Hey Susannah,
I see and have practiced listening prayer as a discipline, especially in the morning. To me it is an oasis in the storm or the desert.It brings me peace. It anchors me and inspires me at times. It becomes a lifeline because even if Jesus corrects me it is gentle, never harsh.

Listening prayer brings me closer in a way nothing else does. I am a fool when I neglect it.

Kit said...

Yeah, Judy. We neglect what brings us life more often than we like to admit.

Kit said...

Bob, you speak to the ease with which all of us can merely attend to the needs and responsibilities of our lives as if they are always necessary. Action without contemplation becomes like a ship without an anchor many times. We just go.

I hope this year will be a year of more listening prayer for you.

Kit said...

Hi Destiny Coach, there is never a time like today to return to listening to God. I will pray you do and soon! Thanks for commenting.

Kit said...

Hey Nathan, Glad it was of help to you, bro! Hope you are well.

Kit said...

Thanks, Nate. Returning has been a blessing - like coming home, really.