Search This Blog

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lately, I Have Been Wondering "Where is There?"

Any church planter worth his or her salt is a visionary, has a visionary on his team, or has done considerable thinking (and praying mind you), about the vision God has summoned her to in planting a church.

Vision points like a hunting dog to something not yet in existence. It peers into the future and there is a discernible horizon to head toward. It perhaps is just in the form of an idea or a dream or a picture, but it is out there beckoning.

In other words, there is a "there" up ahead, a destination, an of some sort. This vision is the enticing suggestion of what people refer to in church planting circles as "God's preferred future."

The particular there one sees and desires to pursue defines and focuses where here needs to aim. It is compelling potential needing to be realized. It requires passion, creativity, courage and strategic savvy. It doesn't yet exist, but, boy, it should.

Imagine/Northampton began as such a vision, a there if you will. Simsbury was a long way from Northampton. Today, we are here and imagine/Northampton is here . . . sorta.

You see the imagine/Northampton of today doesn't match the vision yet. Because of all the adversity we have faced since we arrived in these parts, the vision sometimes dims like a fading rainbow. We have had to pull back, pare down and regroup more than once. Rather than heading steadily toward there, it feels these days more like we are mostly keeping our heads above water and gasping for air. All manner of resistance and obstruction show up frequently. Apparently, we have been noticed by occupying intruders.

So, lately I've had to wonder just "where is there?" I'm not saying we've lost or abandoned the vision we were given. Not in the least; it's still welcome in our hearts. I am saying there has been very hard to hold in view because we are frequently overcoming illnesses/injuries, putting out brush-fires, trudging through relentless distractions, enduring scary financial pressures galore, negotiating a fierce mental battle, and trying to keep on our spiritual feet when we get pushed over. Perhaps the most trying of the challenges we face is we don't have all the people needed in very strategic roles to gather a true head of steam. They're just not here. Some are on the horizon, but not yet here.

For me, the question "where is there?" illustrates the unpleasant sensation of the vision fading in and out, and remaining presently well beyond our reach. There seems no closer than when we first got here. It feels unreal sometimes, and yet when I come to my senses, it pulses inside me with a longing which confirms the rightness of pursuing this vision until it becomes flesh and blood reality.

I think it is good to wonder "where is there?" It keeps me looking for the way through and the way forward. It keeps me dialoguing with God and raising questions with the team. I guess if I stopped asking, I wouldn't be much of a church planter.

I am going keep asking, you know. I will keep trying to find our way. I will stay on the search until imagine/Northampton incarnates what it's summoned to do in Northampton, at least on my watch.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I suppose some of you have a there in your life these days whether you are a church planter or not. Maybe it's not a vision. maybe it's a tough problem you desperately need resolving. You have more questions, than answers. You are frustrated, bewildered, maybe even angry or sad about it all. There is no end in sight.

To you I say: take a breath and regroup like you mean it. Make enough time to smell the roses and get some fresh air. Laugh with a few friends who get it. Have a grog. Learn to play the drums (a noble enterprise for anyone).

Help someone who could use a hand. Take a nap. Never overlook the goofy or the silly; they are there to help you laugh. Laughing is a gift. It releases endorphins.

When your head is clearing and the dissonance has stopped, climb back in the saddle, get your bearings and head back to the trail. Keep your eye out for God. He has the way forward and he just might lead you to the there which means so much to you.

Oh, and don't stop wondering . . .  it keeps you in the search. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here Kit. Thanks for the encouragement. Your words lift my spirits and focus me on God's life of anticipation and joy.

During the recent floodings in Nashville, our beautiful historic church was greatly damaged. Two people who were on their way to service were swept away in the flood waters. Our priest was a spokesperson for God on the Sunday after the tragedys by saying: we so often see these terrible things as interruptions to our "normal" lives and do everything to get through these times until "normal" can resume. But these very interruptions, these setbacks, these sufferings are just what God has ordained for us to have a new vision, to see him more clearly, to ask: God, what do you want to do with me, our church now? You have a great work, help me to see it and get in step with it.

I wait with bated breath in my own life/family for God to do his wondrous work of healing and saving, of glorious redeeming. It can indeed be painful and tiring.

Yet, like you, when I take this ordinary day, with its trials and joys, I see God is alive and active and speaking. I have been reduced to living day by day, with my hope in God. Just to let you know, there are others waiting like you and Trish, and I know we will not be disappointed, whatever the outcome.

therealkimaliczi said...

Great post, thanks for the reality, or should I say "vision" check! Just because I can't see the "there" yet doesn't mean my life comes to a halt. Today, I'm going to re-group like I mean it. Thanks, and God bless you in Northampton. I have family in Williamsburg, and I want you to know how much I pray for your efforts!

Unknown said...

I find it interesting that your experiencing this. At the church where I am worship leader we had a choice. Either expand our existing facilities or plant a new church. After a considerable amount of prayer it was clear that by God's leading we should plant a church. We prayed we studied we waited... and waited.... It was like we built the boat, we filled it with supplies and we were waiting on the orders to cast off. The orders havn't come. We waited. Yesterday I got an e-mail that we are putting this on hold and going back to waiting. I have my l hands full with preparing worship each week and as a staff member my involvement in this has been limited. I am not sure why God hasn't realeased us.
I have my own experience where I have prayed and planned worship in what was clearly God's leading only to end up on the beach after setting sail. I believe I got ahead of God.
When I said I was waiting, I really wasn't. I was wiggling like an impatient child who couldn't wait to see what is behind the the closed door. I had it happen this last week. God gave me songs for the congregation to sing. I prepared and I thought this is working great. At the rehearsal I didn't have a bass player and the keyboard player couldn't play the songs. I have to admit I was discouraged but I thought God will do with me what He will do. I played bass on some and piano on olthers and I was content to let it be what ever it would be. Saturday night I didn't want to go to bed because I thought Sunday would be what I call a "train wreck". Sometime during the night I woke up and found I couldn't wait to get to church to find out what God was going to do. Worship was good and it contained none of the things I had done to prepare and "make" it work. I keep thinking He needs me. He does use me and I'm am thankful for that but God doesn't need me. There are thousands of people who could do what I do. He just wants me to repond to Him not Him responding to me. I am not suggesting that this is what is happening to our attemps at church planting. I don't know. I think the point here is not to get discouraged but to show up with nothing but and see what God does.
Dick

Kit said...

Thanks for praying, Kim. It means a great deal to all of us. In due time vision will become reality because of prayer and sacrifice. May you re-group and head back to the trail and may today help you see more clearly where Jesus is summoning.

Kit said...

I couldn't have said it any better Anonymous. May your waiting end in joy and dancing!

Kit said...

Hey Dick, I agree the point is to show up, be as faithful as you can with what you know, and invite God to do as he pleases. Trying to make his will and ways work often proves futile. Trusting and doing what you can suffices more often than we like to admit.

Thanks for adding your experience and thoughts to the conversation here.

Kit